- Legacy Pest and Wildlife, LLC
- 0 Comments
- June 10, 2021
The Best Form Of Mosquito Control For Irving Properties
Most people know that mosquitoes can be really frustrating to deal with. They are known for their ability to drink blood from human and animal hosts, and, in doing so, leave behind itchy bumps that can annoy you for days. Trying to spend time outdoors can quickly become miserable if you’re met with a swarm of mosquitoes, but these flying insects aren’t just a nuisance.
Mosquitoes are actually one of the deadliest animals in the entire world because they transmit so many different diseases including malaria, Zika virus, encephalitis, West Nile virus, and many more. They will go back and forth from human to animal hosts, which makes them especially deadly as it allows for cross-contamination of pathogens. Since mosquitoes are so dangerous, it’s important to know how to first identify them, and second, prevent and control them.
What Do Mosquitoes Look Like?
Mosquitoes are tiny flying insects that often get mistaken for other species like crane flies. The best way to identify mosquitoes is to look for the long, nose-like appendage they have called a proboscis. This body part is what they use to drink blood as well as nectar. They also have six long legs and a long, thin body shape. Most mosquitoes are a grayish color but their markings can vary.
How To Deter Mosquitoes From Your Property
Mosquitoes are mainly attracted to areas that have sources of standing water as this is where they lay their eggs. The other main element that mosquitoes seek out is overgrown foliage as they will rest in the shade of the leaves during the daytime.
The best way to keep mosquitoes away from your yard is to eliminate or reduce these two factors. Here are some of the best ways to do so:
- Remove any standing water as even small pools can attract them.
- Clear gutters to make sure that rainwater can drain.
- If you have hot tubs, water fountains, or other water features, keep them clean and cycled with fresh water.
- Regularly trim bushes, shrubs, and trees to lessen areas where mosquitoes like to rest.
- Remove organic debris such as leaf piles and grass clippings from your yard.
The Most Effective Mosquito Prevention Tip
While it’s helpful to take mosquito prevention measures on your own, they are a notoriously difficult pest to completely remove. Often, mosquitoes are endemic to certain areas and living near things like lakes and rivers which can make it difficult to control all the factors that draw in these pests.
However, there is one effective and simple way to greatly reduce the number of mosquitoes around your home or business. The Irving, TX pest control experts at Legacy Pest and Wildlife provide ongoing mosquito control plans that will keep these dangerous pests away. Just contact us today to get started!
Some Tips For Preventing Mosquito Bites
If you’re spending time outdoors, it can be difficult to avoid mosquitoes. So, when you’re away from your home in an area where mosquitoes are present, there are some tips you can follow to lessen your likelihood of being bitten:
- Wear light-colored clothing.
- Avoid going outside during dusk as this is when mosquitoes are most active.
- Try not to drink alcohol outdoors especially in the evening as the smell can attract mosquitoes.
- Wear mosquito repellent.
- If you’ve been sweating, clean up before going outdoors as the smell of sweat can also attract mosquitoes.