- Legacy Pest and Wildlife, LLC
- 0 Comments
- October 15, 2021
How Are Mice Finding Their Way Into My Home In Irving?
One of the most common home-invading pests is the common house mouse. Although they are small, about 1½ to 2½ inches long, they are dangerous for multiple reasons. They are dangerous because they can spread diseases such as hantavirus, salmonellosis, leptospirosis, rat-bite fever, tularemia, lymphocytic choriomeningitis, and bubonic plague. They can spread parasites such as fleas and ticks, which can cause other health concerns. Plus, their waste can turn to dust and cause difficulty breathing.
To identify the common house mouse, look for:
- A round body with short hair ranging from black to brown or grey
- A lighter color on their stomach
- Large ears, a pointed muzzle, whiskers, and small black eyes
- A tail ranging from 3 to 4 inches long
If you live in Irving, Texas, you should understand how you might be attracting house mice into your home, how to prevent them, and what the best way to get rid of them is.
What’s Attracting Mice To My Irving Home
Common house mice have lived close to humans for so long that they have become dependent on people for food, water, and shelter, which is why they want to get into residential properties. And they only need a dime-sized hole to squeeze through.
Besides health concerns, mice are dangerous because they need to chew to keep their teeth from overgrowing constantly. They can chew through many materials such as insulation, wood, plaster, furniture, books, flooring, and more. If they chew through wires and pipes, they can cause fire and flooding hazards.
To keep mice from getting into your home in the first place, you should implement several easy home prevention tips.
How Can I Prevent Mice In My Irving Home?
When trying to keep mice out of your home, there are four categories of prevention you have to think about food sources, water sources, harborage areas, and entry points. Tips for each of these categories include:
- Store food in air-tight containers
- Don’t leave dirty dishes in the sink overnight
- Pick up uneaten pet food
- Clean up crumbs and spills right away
- Use tight-fitting lids on garbage cans
- Fix leaking pipes and faucets
- Replace water-damaged wood
- Address other moisture issues such as a leaking roof and standing water
- Clean up the clutter in and out of your home
- Remove leaf and woodpiles
- Keep foliage cut back in your yard
- Seal any hole or gaps in your properties foundation
- Use vent covers
- Fill in gaps around utility lines coming into your home
Although these prevention tips will help keep mice out of your home, they may not always prevent them. If you have difficulty keeping mice out or getting rid of them from your home, you should consider getting professional help.
How Do I Get Mice Out Of My Irving Home?
Mice are a tricky pest to get rid of, and unfortunately, store-bought traps won’t eliminate an entire infestation. This is because common house mice reproduce quickly, which is why excluding them from your home on your own is nearly impossible.
If you are in the Irving, Texas area, you should contact Legacy Pest and Wildlife for assistance. Our exclusion service process includes a thorough inspection to understand the severity of the infestation, implementation of exclusion techniques around your home, and may include installation of plumbing caps and other high-quality exclusion materials. If you have house mice or other rodents in your home, contact Legacy Pest and Wildlife right away for expert pest control in Irving.